Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Importance Of Mentors For Personal And Professional Development By Benedict T. Palen, Jr.


One of the things that stands out in my life is the importance of having a mentor.   Too many times, we are focused only on such things as getting a degree, getting a job, and getting from one day to the next.  Years later, one may look back and regret that kind of focus, and realize that a mentor would have provided needed perspective and advice.

Benedict T. Palen, Jr.

It is never too late to have a mentor.  But, of course, the earlier one starts on that path, the better.  In my own experiences, I went from a tiny rural high school to a large university, and by sheer happenstance, formed bonds with two professors who shaped my college experience, and, indeed, my paths in life.  Those professors gave me guidance about my education, but also about life.  I did not realize it at the time, but the foundations that they provided have stayed with me to this day—some 40 years later.

I was recently with a group of students where I attended college, and the topic of mentors came up. All of them were very interested in mentoring. They realized that their focus on getting a degree had been, in a way, very narrow, and that there were many life skills and such that they were lacking. 

My experiences with my mentors some four decades ago have helped motivate me to help others in this way.    One of the ways to lead a good life is to help others; as the saying goes, it is more important to give than to receive.   In my case, there are experiences that I can share, experiences that come only from going down life’s paths, not always knowing what is in store.  


Learn More:

https://www.pinterest.com/benedicttpalenjr/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/benedicttpalenjr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM0E25CQ6LI

No comments:

Post a Comment